This red cabbage and apple recipe is a traditional German one.
It can be made a day or two before, can be easily frozen and be gently reheated with no last-minute bother. It is a perfect side dish to venison, goose or pork.
- ½ red cabbage
- 1 onion
- 2 apples
- 3 tablespoons sunflower/olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2.5 teaspoons cane sugar
- 2 cl white wine
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Salt, Pepper
- A steamer
- Cut the cabbage and chop finely
- Cut the onion and chop finely
- Heat the oil in a pan and gently brown the chiseled onion
- Then, caramelize with the sugar and wet with the vinegar.
- Add salt, pepper and cumin
- Put the cabbage, the diced apples and 1 glass of water in the steamer
- Close the steamer and cook over low heat for 25 minutes